Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Censored, more or less...but it was in the rules, I now see.

This is from elsewhere, for those of you who are wondering what it's doing here.

blue CM/Nailog = avatar? Much could be said about this...about bodies and souls...
The movie "Avatar" got me thinking about this stuff more, and this story got me thinking about it again, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on it:

I'll just point out the movie "Avatar" foolishly assumed that it was the brain which could be transferred to a new body. GmMkr's conclusion, though allegorical and alluding to the potential for multiple accounts in an online forum environment, is a much more accurate assessment...that without a mind, the soul cannot think, and, might I add, without a soul, the mind lacks a "controller", as does the rest of the body. Those who believe in reincarnation say the soul always occupies a new earthly body after death. This seems a bit odd to me, since the number of living things on earth is not constant...if the earth's population decreases, what do all the "left out" souls do? And if it increases, where do the new souls come from to occupy the increased number of bodies? But, eastern religion and philosophy doesn't hold the only opinion on souls and bodies. Christianity has it's own explanation. That being, that after death, some are given new bodies upon entering heaven...the controllers are given new avatars, so to speak. As for those who go to hell...it is described as a place of torment and fire, but what if it was simply a matter of souls not being given a new body...or being destroyed? This would mean that Athiests would get what they're expecting, at any rate, that being nothingness at death. But I'd like to go back to the point about souls without minds and bodies not being able to think...or at least not be aware...it apparently is this way before birth, otherwise we would remember emotion from before we had a body to inhabit...the word "remember" is telling, since it would seem thatremembering is a function of the mind and not the soul. And I don't know about you, but I have never remembered anything from before birth. And who knows when souls are, or were, created. And a final point about Christianity along these lines: Christianity's belief is that God placed his own soul into the body of a man, who was known by mankind as Yeshua. If there was ever an Avatar in this world, by the true definition of the word, it was him-- a deity's soul in a man's body. God Incarnate, as he is more officially known by the Catholic church and such. And mankind killed him as a criminal, when he had done no wrong. And so he became a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind...which would be more meaningful to me if I better understood the value of sacrifice, and of that sacrifice in particular...what do I know about it? Just that anything and everything that we do that God doesn't want us to do is what is known as "sin" (an invention of God, not an intrinsic value, so far as I can tell...except that it is said that God cannot sin) and God has determined that the automatic penalty for sin is death, ie, no heaven, while the reward for going out of one's way to obey him and find out what he wants from and for us is life, ie new bodies in heaven after death on this earth, and that the death and resurrection of God as a sacrifice somehow wiped the record of all our sins from God's memory, for all practical purposes, should we choose to swear fealty to Him and Him alone. I don't understand it, I don't know that anyone does. But I think it's here that belief is more important than understanding, and that's what makes it faith.
*steps down from soap box*

No comments: